Musings about politics, movies, music, art and all the other important things in life.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mad for "Mad Men"

If you're one of those people who think "Mad Men" is boring, you will find this post boring too. I adore "Mad Men." I started watching it during it's first season and was immediately hooked. I just happened upon the second episode accidentally, and wondered, "What's this?" It took me a little while to figure out its regular broadcast day and time, so I missed a few episodes that first season. But with a little help from Netflix, I managed to see every episode in one long marathon session. (My younger sister later gave me the complete first season as a lovely boxed set for my birthday. I can't say she's my favorite sister, but that certainly didn't hurt her standing. Thanks, Amy!)

"Mad Men" is now in its fourth season, and we've almost reached the final episode. Quel dommage! The fifth season won't come around until next summer, so I'll have to get by re-watching the first three seasons. Yes, I have all of the available DVDs now, and if I play my cards right, some loving friend or family member will give me the fourth season as a birthday gift or Christmas present. (Is a blog post too big of a hint?)

As good as the previous seasons have been, I think this year is the best. That's a pretty high bar, since the first three seasons have won three back-to-back Emmys for best TV drama. But several episodes this year have just made my jaw drop - not from shock or sheer audacity, but purely due to fantastic writing and acting. I have to single out the seventh episode this year, "The Suitcase," in particular. Jon Hamm as Don Draper is a great actor, and as a heterosexual woman, he's also very easy on the eyes. But he was truly amazing in that episode, as was Elisabeth Moss, his co-star who plays Peggy Olson. The raw emotion was heartbreaking. To top it all off, most of the episode took place in Don Draper's office, with just the interplay between Hamm and Moss. There were no car chases, bomb explosions or gun fights, but this episode was anything but boring.

If you love great characters and incredible writing, you owe it to yourself to watch this show from beginning to end. Just make sure you rent it from Netflix, because I'm not loaning you my DVDs. Well, maybe not.

2 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

I'm crazy about this show too, and definitely with you on the best episode. Love the eps that focus more on the office and work. Part of the reason this season is so good is because there is less of Betty and the kids. Unfortunately--to me anyway--this season took a turn for the worse with more womanizing from Don. I get so bored with that.

Lolly Christine said...

Completely with you on the womanizing.I know they have to explore how his insecurity motivates him to mistreat the women in his life, but it gets old fast, like the drinking. Which is why I love his relationship with Peggy. Betty drives me up a tree. And her mistreatment of the kids is very upsetting to watch.