Musings about politics, movies, music, art and all the other important things in life.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Being a Nerd

I remember the first time I was embarrassed about being smart. I was in Junior High (of course) and a close friend told me I sounded like I'd swallowed a dictionary. It probably wouldn't have stung, except that the comment came from a friend.

Most of my friends growing up were nerds, too, so I generally avoided the whole "hide what you know" trap. We created an enclave of intelligence in a world that places a premium on mediocrity - at least until you're old enough to forge your own way. Fortunately, I also had parents who were heavily involved in my academic (and extra-curricular) pursuits and did place a premium on superiority. Education was something to be treasured and it was expected that we would attend university and seek life-long learning.

Getting older and having a successful career - and life - is certainly the sweetest revenge. But every now and then it's nice to see a glimpse of your nerd child self reflected in mass media. This MasterCard commercial is probably one of the best I've ever seen. It makes me smile every time I see it.



I have to admit, it's the ubiquitous backpacks that clue me to the true nerdiness of these boys - not the "Robot Dace." Although, let's be honest: while not exclusively within the purview of the nerd, a love of science fiction or outdated dances from the 90s are certainly indicators that you may get slammed by a gang of thugs on the way home from school.

No comments: