Musings about politics, movies, music, art and all the other important things in life.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eye on the Ball

For someone who loves to discuss politics, these days I'm finding I'd much rather talk about football. Not that there's anything wrong with that! After all, the Utah Utes are going to have a fantastic season.


But instead of talking about the work that still needs to be done to drag our country out of a recession, or what we need to do to work toward renewable, sustainable energy sources to keep our laptops powered or the number of wars that are being fought around the world and all the people who are being displaced by them, we are talking about the culture wars.... again! The freaks have co-opted that national microphone and have found something else to use as a bludgeon to try and stop inevitable change.


So I'd rather talk about football or pottery or even my niece's first birthday, which is coming up in two weeks. (She's very cute, by the way. Here's some evidence, if you really need it.)


It's really easy to understand why people don't want to talk about politics when everyone on t.v. seems to be shouting, angry or simply deranged. It would be nice to bring civility back to civil discourse.


In the meantime, I think I'm going to focus my energy on helping other people instead of fretting about the decline of the western world. Our church is planning a big service day on Sunday, September 26th. Instead of "going" to church, we will "be" the church by helping other people that day: serving food at the soup kitchen, doing yard work, making sandwiches, collecting food. It's a program called "Faith in Action." Maybe it will help me focus on what I can do to make the world a better place.

No comments: